Things a really changing. After reading Nicola Griffin’s interview, conducted by Lindsay Geller, I could not resist writing to express my emotion. We are really changing. Nicola started working as a model at the age of 53 and today she is 56. Without modesty she says that her favourite age is now.
The years go by and, while it is true that some things must change, the transition can be sensed in the air. Perhaps my generation does not incorporate these changes in a natural way, but I am sure that the next generations will have as a habit not to exclude this group of women from the fashion industry, from an active life and from an enjoyable sexuality.
However, we do not recognize ourselves as sexual beings after having fully lived many experiences. For the younger generations, it is not considered as a right, but as a loss. There is a perception that interest in sex is lost and we know that this is not the case: studies report that one third of women over 70 are sexually active and so are more than half of men of the same age (Read, et al: Sexual Health and Well-being Among Older Men and Women in England: Findings from the English Longitudinal Study of Aging, Archives of Sexual Behavior January 2016 https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs10508-014-0465-1).
From the age of 50 it seems that it is socially accepted not to be desired and, if the opposite is demonstrated, it is considered as a milestone, as is the case of Nicola Griffin. However, we wish to remind you some facts related to the reasons why a woman of 50 years and older should, has and can fully enjoy her sexuality and her body:
- She knows what she wants, but the most important aspect is that she knows where she mustn’t return.
- She values her time because she doesn’t want to waste it in experiences that are not profitable.
- Sexuality is only intended for pleasure; reproduction is no longer a topic to be concerned about.
- Sex between an older woman and a younger man seems no longer taboo.
- She is no longer shy.
- She knows that sexual intercourse does not have to be phallocentric in the case of heterosexual women and all women appreciate and have plenty of experience in caressing, oral sex, foreplay and masturbation.
The good news continues …do not miss our next post: Without fear of menopause.